Molasses Spice Oatmeal Muffins
These muffins are great for a quick breakfast or the perfect accompaniment to afternoon tea. The trick is molasses, an ingredient found in many recipes that have been passed down from one generation to the next. Once used to replace hard-to-find sugar, we now know a teaspoon of molasses contains almost the same level of calcium found in a glass of milk. Just an added bonus when baking sweet but not-too-sweet treats.
- 1 cup Large Flake Quaker® Oats or Quick Quaker® Oats (uncooked)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole-grain wheat flour
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/3 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup applesauce, any type
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 to 3 teaspoons Tropicana Pure Premium® orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
How to make it:
- Heat oven to 400°F. Line 12 medium muffin cups with paper baking cups or spray bottoms only with cooking spray.
- For muffins, combine dry ingredients in large bowl; mix well. Combine milk, molasses, oil and egg in medium bowl; mix well.
- Stir in applesauce. Add to dry ingredients all at once; mix just until dry ingredients are moistened. (Do not over mix.)
- Fill muffin cups almost full. Bake 22 to 25 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in centre comes out with a few moist crumbs clinging to it.
- Cool muffins in pan on wire rack 5 minutes; remove from pan.
- For glaze, combine all ingredients in small bowl; mix until smooth. Drizzle over muffin tops. Serve warm.