Bacon and Egg Morning “Risotto”
Take the chill off late winter with the whole-grain goodness of oats cooked with bacon and topped with softly scrambled eggs.
- 2 cups Quaker® Quick Cook Steel Cut Oats
- 6 cups sodium-reduced chicken or vegetable stock
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 6 eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 pinch each salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
How to make it:
- In saucepan, bring stock to simmer; keep hot. In separate large saucepan, cook bacon over medium‑high heat for 5 to 7 minutes or until crisp; drain on paper towel. Chop bacon; set aside.
- Add onion to bacon grease remaining in saucepan; cook for about 5 minutes or until softened. Add oats; cook, stirring to coat, for 2 minutes.
- Pour in stock; cook, stirring, for 6 to 8 minutes or until oats are tender and creamy and most of the liquid is absorbed. Stir in half of the bacon.
- Whisk together eggs, water, salt and pepper. In nonstick skillet, heat butter over medium heat; cook eggs, stirring with a spatula to form large soft curds, for about 3 minutes or until desired consistency.
- Spoon oatmeal into bowls. Top with eggs; sprinkle with tomato, green onions and remaining bacon.