This is where your creativity can shine through. Let this yummy treat take whatever holiday shape you desire. Cherries or cranberries not only add a great taste but also help you have a little more fun baking.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) margarine or butter, softened
- 2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 2-1/2 cups Large Flake Quaker® Oats or Quick Quaker® Oats (uncooked)
- 1 cup dried cherries or dried cranberries
- 1 cup coarsely chopped almonds (optional)
- Decorating icing
- Semisweet chocolate pieces
- Candy-coated chocolate pieces
How to make it:
- Heat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease two cookie sheets.
- Beat margarine and sugars until creamy. Add egg, milk and almond extract; beat well. Add combined flour, baking soda and salt; mix well. Stir in oats, dried cherries and almonds; mix well.
- Divide dough into 4 equal portions. With moistened hands, pat dough onto prepared cookie sheets into 1/4-inch thick holiday shapes such as stockings, Christmas trees or candy canes.
- Bake 12 to 14 minutes or until edges are light golden brown. Cool 2 minutes on cookie sheets; remove to wire rack with wide spatula or pancake turner. Cool completely.
- Decorate cookies as desired.