Santa Sandwich Cookies
One cookie is great but sandwich cookies are even better. Frosting spread between two delicious cookies and topped off with sprinkles makes a nice holiday treat. Santa may come only once a year but you can make these awesome cookies as often as you like.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1teaspoon vanilla
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup Large Flake Quaker® Oats or Quick Quaker® Oats (uncooked)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 container (16 oz.) ready-to-spread vanilla-flavoured frosting, divided in half
- Green or red food colouring (optional)
- Coloured sugars and holiday sprinkles
How to make it:
- In large bowl, beat butter, sugar and vanilla with electric mixer until creamy. In separate bowl, combine flour, oats and salt; mix well.
- Add to butter mixture; mix well. Divide dough in half. Shape each half into a 2-inch diameter roll (approximately 5 inches long). Wrap in plastic wrap; chill about 3 hours or longer.
- Heat oven to 350°F. Unwrap one roll of dough and cut into 1/4-inch slices. Place slices about 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Repeat with remaining rolls.
- Bake 12 to 14 minutes or until edges are light golden brown. Cool 1 minute on cookie sheet; remove to wire rack. Cool completely.
- Divide frosting in half. Cover and refrigerate half of frosting for another use. Tint remaining frosting with food colouring, if desired.
- Spread frosting on bottom of one cooled cookie; top with second cookie. Roll edge of frosting in decorations. Repeat with remaining cookies. Store tightly covered.