Salt & Vinegar Potato Chip Mac and Cheese
Take the ordinary out of mac and cheese when you make this comfort food favorite with LAY'S® Salt & Vinegar Flavoured Potato Chips. Tasty salt and tangy vinegar transform this classic fare from a trusty side dish into a full-fledged family entree. Serve this creamy treat with fruit for lunch on a rainy day, or pair it with cubed, grilled chicken and a salad for a satisfying dinner. This tasty recipe serves four but can easily be doubled to accommodate more.
- 1 bag of LAY'S® Salt & Vinegar Flavoured Potato Chips
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 litre milk
- 2 tablespoons dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 cup elbow macaroni
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 225g shredded cheddar cheese
- 113g shredded Gruyère cheese
- teaspoon dry mustard1/4
How to make it:
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat.
- Stir in the flour. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring. Stir in 1 cup of milk at a time, cooking for 1 minute before adding the next cup.
- Stir in the thyme, nutmeg, salt and cayenne pepper. Simmer for 10 minutes until sauce starts to thicken. Remove from heat.
- Cook the macaroni in boiling water. Drain the macaroni.
- Crumble the LAY'S® Salt & Vinegar Flavoured Potato Chips. Combine with Parmesan cheese, bread crumbs and butter in a large saucepan. Stir over medium heat 5 minutes, until golden brown.
- Combine the sauce with the Cheddar cheese, Gruyère cheese and mustard. Cook, stirring for 3 minutes until the cheese melts.
- Combine the macaroni and cheese sauce. Spoon into four ramekins. Top with the potato-chip topping.