Pumpkin Pecan Oatmeal
Wouldn’t it be nice to spice up even a regular day with a little bit of warm, festive cheer? With the crunchy, creamy goodness of pecan pie and the comforting taste of “home for the holidays” only a slice of pumpkin can deliver, Pumpkin Pecan Oatmeal will make you thankful you did.
- 2 cups Large Flake Quaker® Oats or Quick Quaker® Oats (uncooked)
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 cup LIBBY'S® 100% Pure Pumpkin
- 1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 8-ounce container vanilla low-fat or non-fat yogurt
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped toasted pecans
How to make it:
- In medium saucepan, bring water, pie spice and salt (if desired), to a boil; stir in oats. Return to a boil; reduce heat to medium.
- Cook 1 minute for quick oats, 5 minutes for large flake oats or until most of liquid is absorbed, stirring occasionally. Stir in pumpkin and brown sugar; cook 1 minute. Let stand until desired consistency.
- Spoon oatmeal into four cereal bowls. Top with yogourt and pecans.
To make your own pumpkin pie spice:
Combine 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon, 1 teaspoon ground ginger, 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice, 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves and 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg. Store tightly covered.
To toast pecans: Spread pecans evenly in shallow baking pan.
Bake at 400°F 5 to 7 minutes or until deep golden brown. Or, spread nuts evenly on microwave‑safe plate.
Microwave on HIGH 1 minute; stir. Microwave on HIGH, checking every 30 seconds until nuts are fragrant and browned.
In 3‑quart microwaveable bowl, combine water, pie spice, salt and oats.
Microwave on HIGH 6 to 7 minutes for quick oats and 9 to 10 minutes for large flake oats or until most of liquid is absorbed. Stir in pumpkin and brown sugar.
Microwave on HIGH 30 to 60 seconds. Let stand until desired consistency.