This classic meatloaf recipe is deliciously customizable. Add your family’s favourite veggies, sauce or spice. Sit down together and serve up slice after delicious slice. Requests for seconds guaranteed.
- 3/4 cup Large Flake Quaker® Oats or Quick Quaker® Oats (uncooked)
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 cup tomato juice or tomato sauce
- 1 egg or 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
How to make it:
- Heat oven to 350°F. In large bowl, combine all ingredients, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Press into 8 x 4‑inch loaf pan.
- Bake 1 hour to medium (160°F) doneness until not pink in centre and juices show no pink colour. Let stand 5 minutes; drain off any juices before slicing.
Customize meatloaf by adding one of the following to meatloaf ingredients:
1/2 cup frozen (thawed) or canned (drained) corn
1/2 cup chopped green or red bell pepper
One 2‑1/2‑ounce jar sliced mushrooms, drained
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley or cilantro
Sprinkle top of baked meatloaf with 1 cup shredded cheese. Return to oven for 3 minutes to melt cheese. Spoon heated prepared spaghetti sauce, pizza sauce, barbecue sauce or salsa over each serving.