Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Muffins with Chocolate Streusel
This is literally a grand prize winning treat, submitted by Wendy & Emile Barnett of Knoxville TN at the 8th annual Quaker bake-fest. Adding the walnuts basically puts it in the hall of fame. Share the win and make some for friends.
- 1 cup Large Flake Quaker® Oats or Quick Quaker® Oats (uncooked)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 2 tablespoons margarine or butter, melted
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips or mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 2/3 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
How to make it:
- Heat oven to 350ºF. Line twelve medium muffin cups with paper baking cups or spray bottoms only with cooking spray.
- For streusel, combine all ingredients in medium bowl; mix well. Set aside.
- For muffins, combine flour, oats, chocolate chips, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl; mix well. In medium bowl, combine buttermilk, honey, oil and egg; blend well.
- Add to dry ingredients all at once; stir just until dry ingredients are moistened. (Do not over mix.)
- Fill muffin cups almost full. Sprinkle with reserved streusel, patting gently.
- Bake 20 to 22 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool muffins in pan on wire rack 5 minutes. Remove from pan. Serve warm.