Holiday Cookie Surprises
Whether it’s with some milk or just on their own, cookies are always a nice treat. The goodness of Quaker oats combines with bite sized candies for cookies that are a pleasant surprise. This holiday season give them something delicious to snack on.
- 1 1/4 cups Large Flake Quaker® Oats or Quick Quaker® Oats (uncooked)
- 3/4 tasse de sucre en poudre
- 1 cup (2 sticks) margarine or butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all‑purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- Approximately 48 assorted bite‑size candies
- Coloured sugar or candy sprinkles
How to make it:
- Heat oven to 325°F. Beat margarine and sugar until creamy. Add egg and vanilla; beat well. Add combined flour, oats and salt; mix well.
- Shape dough into 1‑inch balls. Press desired candy piece into centre of each ball; shape dough around candy so it is completely hidden.
- Roll cookies in coloured sugar or candy sprinkles until evenly coated. Place 1‑1/2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake 14 to 17 minutes or until set and bottoms are light golden brown. Remove to wire rack. Cool completely. Store tightly covered.
For gift giving: Pack in holiday cookie tins or make cookie bundles. To make bundles, arrange a few cookies in the centre of a square of food‑safe wrap. Form into a bundle and tie closed at top with ribbon.
Variation: For powdered sugar‑coated cookies, bake uncoated cookies as directed above. Remove to wire rack; cool 5 minutes. Place about 3/4 cup powdered sugar in plastic bag. Gently shake 3 to 4 cookies in powdered sugar until coated. Repeat with remaining cookies. Sift remaining powdered sugar over cookies. Cool completely.