Hearty Meatball Stew
A delicious bowl of stew can make any cold day better. This stew definitely proves that nothing beats the combination of tender meatballs with pasta and vegetables. Everyone will seriously appreciate thawing out with a warm and hearty bowl of Hearty Meatball Stew.
- 3/4 cup Large Flake Quaker® Oats or Quick Quaker® Oats (uncooked)
- 1 pound ground turkey breast OR extra-lean ground beef
- 1 can (8 oz.) no-salt-added tomato sauce, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves, divided
- 2 cans (14-1/2 oz. each) 70% less sodium, fat-free chicken broth
- 3/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/3 cup ditalini or other small pasta
- 2-1/2 cups any frozen vegetable blend (do not thaw)
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
How to make it:
- Heat broiler. Lightly spray rack of broiler pan with cooking spray.
- In large bowl, combine ground turkey, oats, 1/3 cup tomato sauce, garlic powder and 1 teaspoon thyme; mix lightly but thoroughly.
- Transfer to sheet of aluminum foil or waxed paper. Pat mixture into 9 x 6‑inch rectangle. Cut into 1‑1/2‑inch squares; roll each square into a ball. Arrange meatballs on broiler pan.
- Broil meatballs 6 to 8 inches from heat about 6 minutes or until cooked through, turning once.
- While meatballs cook, bring chicken broth, remaining tomato sauce, remaining 1/2 teaspoon thyme and, if desired, salt to a boil in 4‑quart saucepan or Dutch oven over medium‑high heat.
- Add pasta and vegetables; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 10 minutes or until pasta and vegetables are tender.
- In small bowl, stir together water and cornstarch until smooth. Add to pan with meatballs. Cook and stir until broth is thickened. Spoon into bowls.