Cuban Meatball Kabobs
Who’s up for a Cuban vacation? Okay, that’s a bit of a trick question because you don’t need to pack your bags or book a hotel to enjoy the flavours of Cuba. All you need is this recipe. It’s fast, it’s easy, and you won’t have to go scrambling to find your passport.
- 3/4 cup Large Flake Quaker® Oats or Quick Quaker® Oats (uncooked)
- 1 cup mild or medium chunky salsa
- 1 cup peeled, diced ripe mango OR peaches
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped cilantro
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 3/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1-1/2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 3/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 6 (6-inch) corn or flour tortillas, warmed
How to make it:
- If using bamboo skewers, soak skewers in water. In medium bowl, toss vegetable pieces with 2 tablespoons dressing; set aside.
- In large bowl, combine ground beef, egg, oats, milk, onion, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape mixture into 20 meatballs, about 1‑1/2 inches in diameter. Alternately thread meatballs and vegetables onto eight 12‑inch bamboo or metal skewers.
- Arrange kabobs on broiler pan that has been sprayed with non‑stick cooking spray. Drizzle with any dressing remaining in medium bowl.
- Broil 3 to 4 inches from heat, until meatballs are cooked through (160ºF) and vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes, turning once and brushing with remaining 2 tablespoons of dressing.
- Serve kabobs sprinkled with cheese, if desired.