Chewy Molasses Oat Crackles
The freshness of ginger, cinnamon, and cloves come together in these snappy delights. The apple sauce and brown sugar balance it all out with sweetness.
- 1 cup Large Flake Quaker® Oats or Quick Quaker® Oats (uncooked)
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup (5 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon) margarine, melted
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
How to make it:
- In medium bowl, combine flour, oats, baking soda, spices and salt; mix well.
- In large bowl, combine brown sugar, margarine, applesauce, molasses and egg; mix until well blended. Add dry ingredients; mix well. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 375°F. Lightly spray cookie sheets with cooking spray. Place 1/2 cup granulated sugar in small dish. Shape dough into 1‑inch balls; roll in sugar. Place 2 inches apart on cookie sheets.
- Bake 7 to 9 minutes or until tops have crackled. Let cool 2 minutes on cookie sheets; remove to wire rack. Cool completely. Store tightly covered. ABOUT 3‑1/2 DOZEN
*If using large flake oats, add 3 tablespoons more flour.