Chewy Choc-Oat Chip Bars
Packed with chewy oats, brown sugar and chocolate chips, these easy-to-make bars will be a hit with the sweet toothed people in your life. The chopped nuts are optional, but a little crunch never hurts.
- 2-1/2 cups Large Flake Quaker® Oats or Quick Quaker® Oats (uncooked)
- 1 cup (2 sticks) margarine or butter, softened
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
How to make it:
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Beat margarine and sugars until creamy. Add eggs, milk and vanilla; beat well. Add combined flour, baking soda and salt; mix well. Stir in oats, chocolate chips and nuts; mix well.
- Press dough onto bottom of ungreased 13 x 9‑inch baking pan.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Cool completely; cut into bars. Store tightly covered.
Variations:Substitute 1 cup of any of the following for 1 cup chocolate chips: candy‑coated chocolate pieces, candy‑coated peanut butter pieces, white chocolate chips, peanut butter & milk chocolate chips or butterscotch chips.
Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.
Bake 9 to 10 minutes for a chewy cookie or 12 to 13 minutes for a crisp cookie.
Cool 1 minute on cookie sheets; remove to wire rack. Cool completely. Store tightly covered. Makes about 5 dozen.