What says breakfast more than oatmeal, oranges and bananas? Nothing, but try to take them all to go and you're in for a mess. Try putting them all together in these zesty, filling muffins. The perfect breakfast on-the-go, or at the breakfast table if you have the time.
- 1-1/2 cups Large Flake Quaker® Oats or Quick Quaker® Oats (uncooked)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cups chopped dates
- 1 8-ounce carton plain non-fat yogourt or 3/4 cup low-fat buttermil
- 3/4 cup mashed ripe banana (about 2 medium)
- 2 egg whites or 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated orange peel
How to make it:
- Heat oven to 400°F. Line twelve medium muffin cups with paper baking cups or lightly spray bottoms only with cooking spray.
- In large bowl, combine oats, flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and dates; mix well. In medium bowl, combine yogourt, banana, egg whites, oil and orange peel; blend well.
- Add to dry ingredients all at once; stir just until dry ingredients are moistened. (Do not over mix.)
- Fill muffin cups almost full.
- Bake 20 to 22 minutes or until golden brown. Cool muffins in pan on wire rack 5 minutes; remove from pan.