French Onion Nachos with Avocado Crema
With rich caramelized onions and a simple avocado crema, these irresistible nachos are perfect for snacking alone or with a crowd.
- 1 bag (275 g) Tostitos® Hint of Spicy Queso tortilla chips
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper, divided
- 1 ripe avocado, halved, pitted and peeled
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) sour cream
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lemon juice
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped fresh chives
- 1 jalapeño pepper, halved, seeded and diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 1/4 cups (300 mL) shredded Gruyère cheese
How to make it
- Melt butter in large skillet set over medium heat; cook onions, and half of the salt and pepper, stirring occasionally, for 8 to 10 minutes or until slightly softened. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring frequently, for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and caramelized; let cool completely.
- In blender, purée avocado, sour cream, lemon juice and remaining salt and pepper until smooth. Stir in chives.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Lay half of the tortilla chips on large pizza pan or baking sheet. Scatter with half of the caramelized onions and cheese. Repeat layers. Sprinkle with diced jalapeño and red bell pepper.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve with avocado crema.
Tip: Caramelized onions can be made ahead and refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Tasty RewardsTM MembersGet my Coupon*
*Get a Tostitos® Coupon! Coupons available while quantities last