Tropical Lime Oat Bars
Limes are very underrated considering how helpful they can be. They can add a little colour on the rim of a tropical drink or give a kick to a familiar recipe. Here the taste of lime combines with Quaker and coconut to create a fresh new snack bar.
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter or margarine, softened
- 2 cups Large Flake Quaker® Oats or Quick Quaker® Oats (uncooked)
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- One 14-ounce can low-fat sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated)
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice (about 3 limes)
- 2 teaspoons firmly packed, finely grated lime peel (from 2 to 3 limes)
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- One 3-1/2-ounce jar macadamia nuts, chopped (about 3/4 cup)
How to make it
- Heat oven to 350ºF. Lightly spray 13 x 9-inch metal baking pan with cooking spray.
- In large bowl, beat sugar and butter until creamy. Add combined oats, flour and salt; mix until crumbly.
- Reserve 1 cup oat mixture for topping; transfer to wire rack. Press remaining oat mixture onto bottom of baking pan. Bake 10 minutes.
- In same bowl, combine sweetened condensed milk, sour cream, lime juice and lime peel; mix well. Pour evenly over crust.
- In medium bowl, combine reserved oat mixture with coconut and nuts; mix well. Sprinkle evenly over filling, patting gently.
- Bake 30 to 34 minutes or until topping is light golden brown. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Cut into bars. Store tightly covered in refrigerator.