Fruit, Nut & Fibre Bars
Packed full of chewy goodness, these bars are the perfect on-the-go snack. Fruity, nutty and an excellent way to fill in the gaps between meals.
- 1-1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) light butter
- 1 large egg
- 1-1/4 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 small bananas)
- 1-1/2 cups Large Flake Quaker® Oats or Quick Quaker® Oats (uncooked)
- 2/3 cup chopped pitted dates or golden raisins
- 2/3 cup chopped toasted walnuts
How to make it
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly spray 13 x 9 x 2-inch metal baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Stir together flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda and salt in medium bowl; mix well. Set aside.
- In large bowl, beat light butter and brown sugar with electric mixer until well blended. Add egg and bananas; mix well. (Mixture will look curdled.) Add flour mixture; beat on low just until well blended. Stir in oats, dates and walnuts. Spread evenly in prepared pan.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes, until edges are golden brown and wooden pick inserted in centre comes out with a few moist crumbs clinging to it.
- Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Cut into bars. Store tightly covered at room temperature up to 2 days or place in airtight container and freeze up to 3 months. Defrost uncovered at room temperature.