Marvelous Morning Muffins
Rise and shine with this breakfast staple. Carrots, pineapples and wholesome whole wheat, make this muffin as delicious as it is substantial. Enjoy one with your morning coffee, and take another one – or two – for the road.
- 1 cup/250 mL Quaker® 100% Whole Grain Large Flake Oats or Quaker® 100% Whole Grain Quick Oats (uncooked)
- 1 cup/250 mL all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup/125 mL whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup/75 mL firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup/125 mL raisins
- 1 tablespoon/15 mL baking powder
- 1 teaspoon/ 5 mL ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon/2.5 mL baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon/ 2.5 mL salt
- 1 can (8 ounces/225 grams) crushed pineapple in juice, undrained
- 1/2 cup/125 mL shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup/125 mL fat-free (skim) milk
- 1/2 cup/75 mL vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons/30 mL powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon/5 mL fat-free (skim) milk
How to make it
- Heat oven to 400°F/200°C. Line 12 medium muffin pan cups with paper baking cups or spray bottoms only with nonstick cooking spray.
- For muffins, combine oats, all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, brown sugar, raisins, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt in large bowl; mix well.
- Combine pineapple (with juice), carrots, ½ cup/125 mL milk, oil and egg in medium bowl; blend well.
- Add to dry ingredients all at once; stir just until dry ingredients are moistened. (Do not overmix.)
- Fill muffin cups almost full.
- Bake 20 to 22 minutes or until golden brown. Cool muffins in pan on wire rack 5 minutes. Remove from pan Cool 10 minutes.
- For glaze, combine ingredients in small bowl; mix until smooth. Drizzle evenly over muffins. Serve warm.