Double Ginger Oat Bars
Christmas time or bake sales. It seems that gingerbread only makes an appearance on these two occasions. That’s just silly since you can enjoy that great taste whenever you want. They’re easy to make and topped with a layer of icing that makes any occasion special.
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter or light butter, divided
- 2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 package (14.5 oz.) gingerbread cake and cookie mix
- 1 1/4 cups Large Flake Quaker® Oats or Quick Quaker® Oats (uncooked)
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 large egg
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped crystallized ginger OR 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Red and green decorator’s icing (optional)
How to make it
- For bars, heat oven to 350ºF.
- Spray 13 x 9 x 2-inch metal baking pan with cooking spray; set aside.
- In large saucepan, melt 6 tablespoons of the butter over low heat. Remove from heat. Add brown sugar; stir with wooden spoon until well blended. Add gingerbread mix, oats, water and egg; stir until well blended. Spread evenly in prepared pan.
- Bake 30 to 33 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in centre comes out with a few moist crumbs clinging to it. Cool bars completely in pan on wire rack.*
- For frosting, beat cream cheese and remaining 2 tablespoons butter with electric mixer in medium bowl until blended. Gradually add confectioners’ sugar, beating until smooth. Beat in ginger.
- Spread frosting evenly over bars. Cover and refrigerate until ready to cut and decorate.
- To decorate, cut into bars and remove from pan. Using red and green frosting, pipe ribbons, holly leaves and berries or other decorations onto each bar. Refrigerate uncovered until decorations set, then cover and refrigerate up to 3 days.
Tasty RewardsTM Members!Get my coupon*
*Get a Quaker® Coupon! Coupons available while quantities last