Everything is better when it’s homemade - especially veggie burgers. They’re actually pretty easy to make and with so many good things to pack in like mushrooms and rice, these burgers are pretty delicious too.
- 3 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup shredded carrots (about 2)
- 3/4 cup chopped onion (about 1 medium)
- 3/4 cup chopped zucchini (about 1 small)
- 2 cups Large Flake Quaker® Oats or Quick Quaker® Oats (uncooked)
- 1 15‑ounce can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup cooked white or brown rice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro or chives (optional)
- Hamburger buns and toppings (optional)
How to make it
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in large non-stick skillet. Add mushrooms, carrots, onions and zucchini; cook over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Transfer vegetables to food processor bowl. Add oats, beans, rice, soy sauce, garlic, pepper, and cilantro if desired. Pulse for about 20 seconds or until well blended. Divide into eight 1/2-cup portions. Shape into patties between waxed paper. Refrigerate at least 1 hour or until firm.
- Heat remaining 2 teaspoons oil in same skillet over medium-high heat.
- Cook patties 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Serve on buns with toppings, if desired.