Savoury Oat Cakes with Tomato Onion Salad
Cottage weekends are the time for leisurely mornings with family and friends. These oat cakes are perfect for making ahead and transporting. Just fry them in the morning and toss together the simple tomato salad at the table.
- 6 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups Quaker® Quick Cook Steel Cut Oats
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh herb mixture (such as thyme, rosemary, oregano, basil)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil6 fried eggs (optional)
- Tomato Onion Salad:
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 pinch freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
How to make it
- In a large saucepan, bring water and salt to boil; stir in oats and herbs. Reduce heat to medium; simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes or until oats are desired consistency. Stir in Parmesan.
- Spread oat mixture in even layer into greased 13- x 9-inch (3 L) baking dish; refrigerate until cool and firm, about 2 hours or overnight.
- Tomato Onion Salad: Meanwhile, whisk together olive oil, vinegar, basil, salt and pepper in large bowl; toss with tomatoes and onion.
- Carefully turn out oatmeal onto cutting board; cut into 12 squares. In nonstick skillet, heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the oil over medium-high heat; fry oatmeal squares in batches, adding remaining oil as necessary, for about 3 minutes per side or until golden. Top with Tomato Onion Salad, and fried eggs (if desired).