Savoury Apple & Thyme Breakfast Bowl
Why save the flavours of stuffing for the big feast when you can pack all the warming fall flavours of Thanksgiving into a delicious breakfast bowl?
- 1 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 12 turkey sausage links
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 pinch freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups vegetable or sodium-reduced chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 2 cups Quaker® Quick Cook Steel Cut Oats
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
How to make it
- In large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; cook sausages for 8 to 10 minutes or until browned and cooked through. Keep warm.
- In skillet, melt butter over medium heat; cook apples, onion, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper for 6 to 8 minutes or until softened and golden brown. Add stock, water and cranberries to skillet; bring to boil. Stir in oats; reduce heat to medium. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes or until desired consistency.
- Divide oatmeal among 6 bowls. Cut sausages diagonally; divide among bowls. Drizzle with maple syrup.
- Tip: Substitute chopped toasted walnuts for sausage if desired.