Pistachio Date Squares
I am a sucker for nostalgia baking. Some of my favourite food memories come from long road trips where we would stop in a small town in Nova Scotia, find their local bakery, and dig into a classic old school dessert. One of my all time favourites, The Date Square.
This recipe is insanely easy to make and I think it could easily become a staple in your baking arsenal.
- 2 ½ cups of chopped dates
- 1 cup water
- The juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp baking soda
Pistachio Oat Crumble
- 1 ¾ cups of quick oats
- 1 cup Quaker® Oat Flour
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup margarine
- ¾ cup roughly chopped pistachios
How to make it
- Prepare a 8X8 inch brownie pan with parchment paper and cooking spray. Preheat the oven to 350.
- In a pot combine dates, water, lemon juice, brown sugar, and baking soda. Place over medium high heat and let simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- While date filling is cooling, mix together the oat mixture. In a large bowl combine oats, oat flour, brown sugar, margarine, and pistachios. Mix until the margarine is coating everything.
- Spread half the crisp in the baking dish and press firmly. Layer with the date mixture. Cover with the remaining crisp and press lightly.
- Place in the oven for 35 minutes.
- Once baking is completed, allow the mixture to cool fully.
- Cut into squares, pour a cup of tea, and enjoy!