Oatmeal Dream Dates
Oscar night is all about dreams. There’s couture creations draped on dreamy celebrities. (And let’s not forget the award winners dreams coming true.) Keep with the theme as you watch the star-studded event with a batch of these Oatmeal Dream Dates.
- One 8-ounce package pitted dates, coarsely chopped
- 1-1/2 cups Tropicana Pure Premium® orange juice
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 3/4 pound (3 sticks) margarine or butter, chilled and cut into pieces
- 2 cups Large Flake Quaker® Oats or Quick Quaker® Oats (uncooked)
- 1-1/2 cups shredded coconut, divided
- 1 cup chopped nuts
How to make it
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- In medium saucepan, combine dates and orange juice; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer 15 to 20 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; cool slightly.
- In large bowl, combine flour, sugar and salt. Cut in margarine with pastry blender or two knives until mixture is crumbly. Stir in oats, 1 cup coconut and nuts; mix well. Reserve 4 cups oat mixture for topping.
- Press remaining oat mixture evenly onto bottom of ungreased 13 x 9-inch baking pan. Spread date mixture evenly over crust to within 1/4 inch of edges. Sprinkle with reserved oat mixture. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup coconut, patting gently.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Cut into bars. Store tightly covered.