Ginger Oat Crumb Cake
It’s funny how the things you love and remember from your childhood can stick with you when you’re all grown up. Bring back the unforgettable taste of gingerbread as a great after dinner treat. But there’s one major change this time around. You’re upgrading to cake now. Being all grown up does have its perks.
- 1/3 cup Large Flake Quaker® Oats or Quick Quaker® Oats (uncooked)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons finely chopped crystallized ginger or 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 tablespoons margarine or butter, chilled and cut into pieces
- 1-1/4 cups boiling water
- 1 cup Large Flake Quaker® Oats or Quick Quaker® Oats (uncooked)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 5 tablespoons margarine or butter, softened
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
How to make it
- Heat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease and flour 9-inch square or 11 x 7-inch baking pan.
- For topping, combine oats, flour, brown sugar and ginger in small bowl; mix well. Cut in margarine with pastry blender or two knives until mixture is crumbly. Set aside.
- For cake, pour boiling water over oats in medium bowl; mix well. In large bowl, beat sugars and margarine until well blended.
- Add egg whites and vanilla; beat well. Add oat and water mixture and combined flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking soda, cloves and salt; mix just until dry ingredients are moistened. (Do not overmix.) Pour batter into pan. Sprinkle with reserved topping.
- Bake 50 to 60 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in centre comes out clean. Cool cake in pan on wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Tasty RewardsTM Members!Get my coupon*
*Get a Quaker® Coupon! Coupons available while quantities last