Cherry Almond Oatmeal Cake
Moist, delicious and cherry sweet, it’s the perfect dessert to serve after any meal. The velvety filling and almond crunch balance each other out really nicely as well.
- 1/4 cup Large Flake Quaker® Oats or Quick Quaker® Oats (uncooked)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon margarine, chilled
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- One 8-ounce container cherry (fruit on the bottom) low-fat yogourt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 4 egg whites OR 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup Large Flake Quaker® Oats or Quick Quaker® Oats (uncooked)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cherry pie filling, divided
How to make it
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly spray 8-inch square baking pan or 9-inch heart-shaped pan (2 inches deep) with cooking spray.
- For topping, combine oats, flour, brown sugar and nutmeg; mix well. Cut in margarine with pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in almonds; set aside.
- For cake, combine yogurt, granulated sugar, egg whites, margarine, vanilla and almond extract in large bowl; mix well. Add combined flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda and salt; mix just until moistened. (Do not overmix.)
- Spread half of batter in pan. Drop 1/2 cup pie filling in small spoonfuls randomly over batter. Top with remaining batter. Drop spoonfuls of remaining pie filling over batter; sprinkle evenly with topping.
- Bake 45 to 55 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in centre comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack. Serve warm. Store cooled cake tightly covered at room temperature.