Candy Cane Cookies
Whoever thinks holiday spirit ends after December 25th should really try our quick and easy recipe for Candy Cane Cookies. Using a hint of peppermint extract and a few other delicious ingredients, these delightfully surprising cookies are so good you might start celebrating the season sometime in July.
- 3/4 cup (1-1/2 sticks) butter or margarine
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Large Flake Quaker® Oats or Quick Quaker® Oats (uncooked)
How to make it
- Beat together butter and sugar until creamy.
- Blend in egg, vanilla and peppermint extract.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir in oats. Roll out dough between 2 sheets of waxed paper to form a 12 x 6" rectangle.
- Refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- Remove top sheet of waxed paper. Cut into 6 x 1/4" slices.
- Shape into ropes, twisting to form candy canes. Bake on ungreased cookie sheets in preheated moderate oven (375° F) 8 to 10 minutes.
- Cool on cookie sheets 1 minute before removing to wire racks. Decorate with confectioners’ sugar frosting and red hot cinnamon candies.