Banana Oatmeal Rocks
Bananas rock. Walnuts rock. Oats rock. Put them together and you've got a sweet treat that's way too cool to just be called "cookies." This is an excellent recipe to make with your kids, and with only 15 minutes in the oven, it'll be ready before you know it.
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 12 tablespoons (1-1/2 sticks) margarine or butter, softened
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium)
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1-3/4 cups Large Flake Quaker® Oats or Quick Quaker® Oats (uncooked)
- 1-1/2 cups raisins or chopped pitted prunes
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 3/4 cup chopped pitted dates
- 1-1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons margarine or butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons milk
How to make it
- Heat oven to 375°F. Line cookie sheets with aluminum foil.
- For cookies, beat sugar and margarine in large bowl until creamy. Add bananas, egg and lemon peel; beat well. Add combined flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, ginger and nutmeg; mix well. Add oats, raisins, nuts and dates; mix well.
- Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto cookie sheets.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until light golden brown. (Do not overbake; cookies should remain soft.) Slide cookies and foil from cookie sheets onto wire rack; cool while preparing glaze.
- For glaze, combine all ingredients in small bowl; mix until smooth. (Glaze should be thick). Spoon small amount of glaze over each warm cookie, letting glaze run down sides of cookie.
- Cool completely. Remove cookies from foil. Store tightly covered.