Autumn Fruit Cobbler
Most adults like fruit. Most kids do too. A bowl of fruit for dessert doesn’t quite do the trick though. But that doesn’t mean you can’t create a scrumptious fruit-based dessert. You just have to dessert it up – with ginger, brown sugar and the king of all toppings, ice cream. It’s still fruit. It’s still in a bowl. Only now, you get nothing but smiles.
- 3 apples, cored and cut into 1/4-inch wedges
- 2 red or purple plums, pitted and cut into 1/4-inch wedges
- 1 firm ripe pear, cored and cut into 1/4-inch wedges
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger or 2 teaspoons ground ginger, divided
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup Large Flake Quaker® Oats or Quick Quaker® Oats (uncooked)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) 70% vegetable oil spread, chilled, cut into pieces
- 2/3 cup low-fat milk
- Vanilla ice cream (optional)
How to make it
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- In large bowl, combine fruit. In small bowl, combine 3/4 cup of the brown sugar, the cornstarch and 1 teaspoon of the ginger. Add to fruit; mix well. Spoon into 2-1/2-quart baking dish. Bake uncovered 20 minutes.
- In large bowl, combine flour, oats, remaining 1/4 cup brown sugar, baking powder, remaining 1 teaspoon ginger and salt; mix well. Cut in vegetable oil spread with pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add milk; mix with fork until soft dough forms. Turn out onto lightly floured surface; knead gently 6 to 8 times. Pat dough into a rectangle 1/2-inch thick. Cut into shapes with floured biscuit or cookie cutter.
- Remove baking dish from oven; stir fruit. Carefully arrange biscuits over hot fruit; press lightly into fruit.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown and fruit mixture is bubbly.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream, if desired. Cover and refrigerate leftovers.
Tasty RewardsTM Members!Get my coupon*
*Get a Quaker® Coupon! Coupons available while quantities last