Apple Streusel Baked Oat Pancake
A layered, crumbly feat of apple engineering, this recipe brings brunch to a whole new level. Tart apples, topped by sweet streusel, served warm with plenty for seconds. There’s no more delectable centrepiece for your table.
- 1/2 cup/125 mL Quaker® 100% Whole Grain Large Flake Oats or Quaker® 100% Whole Grain Quick Oats (uncooked)
- 1/4 cup/60 mL all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup/60 mL firmly packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons/45 mL stick margarine or butter, melted
- 1/4 cup/60 mL (1/2 stick) margarine or butter, cut into pieces
- 1/3 cup/75 mL granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon/5 mL ground cinnamon
- 3 medium tart apples (about 1 1/4 pounds/ 565 grams), cored and cut into thin wedges
- 1 cup/250 mL all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup 125 mL Quaker® 100% Whole Grain Large Flake Oats or Quaker® 100% Whole Grain Quick Oats (uncooked)
- 1 teaspoon/5 mL baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon/ 1.25 mL salt (optional)
- 1 cup/250 mL fat-free (skim) milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
How to make it
- Combine ½ cup/125 mL oats, ¼ cup/60 mL flour, brown sugar and melted margarine in small bowl; stir until crumbly. Set aside.
- Heat oven to 350°F/180°C
- Place ¼ cup/60 mL margarine into 8-inch square glass baking dish.
- Place in oven 3 to 5 minutes or until margarine is melted.
- Remove from oven. Stir in granulated sugar and cinnamon.
- Add apples; stir until apples are well coated with sugar mixture.
- Bake 10 to 15 minutes or until apples have softened, stirring occasionally.
- Combine 1 cup/250 mL flour, ½ cup/125 mL oats, baking powder and if desired, salt in large bowl; mix well.
- Combine milk and egg in small bowl; blend well.
- Add to dry ingredients all at once; stir just until dry ingredients are moistened. (Do not over mix.)
- Spoon over apple mixture in baking dish, spreading batter to edges of dish.
- Sprinkle reserved streusel evenly over batter.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in centre comes out with a few moist crumbs clinging to it. Serve immediately.