Oatmeal Gingerbread Cookies
Gingerbread cookies are the perfect intro to baking and a great way of getting your kids involved. But around the holidays there’s nothing better. Imagine those little hands decorating gingerbread characters for themselves or to give to playmates. Or notch out a hole, tie on a ribbon and decorate your home for a true festive feel.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) margarine or butter
- softened 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 3‑1/3 cups all‑purpose flour
- 1‑1/2 cups Large Flake Quaker® Oats or Quick Quaker® Oats (uncooked)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- Ready‑to‑spread frosting
- Assorted candies
How to make it:
- Beat margarine and sugar until creamy. Add molasses and egg; beat well. Add combined flour, oats, spices, baking soda and salt; mix well. Cover; chill about 2 hours.
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- On floured surface, roll dough out about 1/4 inch thick for a chewy cookie or 1/8 inch thick for a crisp cookie. Cut with 5-inch gingerbread man or woman cookie cutter. Transfer to ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until set.
- Cool 1 minute on cookie sheets; remove to wire rack. Cool completely.
- Frost and decorate cookies with candies. Store loosely covered at room temperature.