Lightweight Lemon Wafers
Impress even the hardest-to-please members of your social circle the next time you host with these easy-to-make but sophisticated-looking treats. Lemony lightweight wafers go perfectly with tea or coffee and are so good you’ll enjoy watching guests reach for a second or third one.
- 2 cups Large Flake Quaker® Oats or Quick Quaker® Oats (uncooked)
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) Blue Bonnet® spread, softened
- 1/2 cup plain non-fat yogourt OR lemon low-fat yogourt
- 2 egg whites OR 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- Granulated sugar
How to make it:
- Beat 1‑1/4 cups granulated sugar and margerine until creamy. Add yogurt, egg whites, lemon peel and vanilla; beat well. Gradually add combined oats, flour, baking powder and baking soda; mix well. Cover; chill 1 to 3 hours.
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Lightly spray cookie sheets with non‑stick cooking spray.
- With lightly floured hands, shape dough into 1‑inch balls. Place 3 inches apart on cookie sheets. Flatten to 1/8‑inch thickness with bottom of glass dipped in granulated sugar.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
- Cool 2 minutes on cookie sheets; remove to wire rack.
- Sift powdered sugar over warm cookies.
- Cool completely. Store tightly covered.