Chef Matt Basile's Mango Pineapple Fried Rice
Get some fresh crunch with this fun twist on pineapple fried rice.
Matt Basile is a Canadian chef and bestselling cookbook author, and the founder of Toronto street food brand, Fidel Gastro’s. As the 2021 Tostitos ambassador, Matt will create effortless recipes, which require minimal time in the kitchen, but deliver on flavour and crunch.
Tostitos products have always been a staple in my home, so I am excited to be putting a unique spin on some of my favourite products. Over the course of the year, I’ll share simple and approachable recipes that are fun and don’t require hours in the kitchen, but will be sure to impress your loved ones. I hope you enjoy my delicious dishes and snacks!
- 10-15 Tostitos® Strips tortilla chips
- 3 tbsp Tostitos® Mango Salsa
- 1 pineapple cut in half lengthwise, with pineapple meat removed and cut into small pieces
- 4 green onions, bulb separated from green stems and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped carrot
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- ½ cup soy sauce
- 1 cup cooked and cooled white rice
- 20 cooked and cooled small shrimps, deveined and shelled
How to make it
- Heat a large non-stick pan, cast iron or wok on high heat, and add 2 tbsp of canola oil to the hot pan. Add your chopped ginger, garlic, carrots and white bulb of the onion and mix thoroughly until ingredients start to caramelize and soften, approximately 2 minutes.
- Once ingredients have softened, add in the pineapple and mix for another 1 to 2 minutes. Once pineapple starts to release its juices, give it one more mix and then add in ½ cup of soy sauce and mix well, coating all the ingredients in the pan; cook another 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add in 3 tbsp of Tostitos® Mango Salsa and your cooked shrimp to your pan and mix to combine. Next, you are going to remove about a ¼ cup of the sauce and shrimp from the pan and reserve it for later for topping. Add in your 1 cup of pre-cooked rice, mix and allow the rice to absorb all the sauce. Let it cook for another minute.
- Remove the pan from the heat and place all the mixture into both halves of the hollowed-out pineapple. Top each one with a handful of Tostitos® Strips tortilla chips, approximately 5-6 chips, the reserved sauce, and the shrimp. Garnish with finely chopped green onions.
GET THE HINT? GET TOSTITOS®Get my Coupon*
*Coupons available while quantities last