Pear Ginger Scones
Scones are always a lovely treat with tea or coffee. But this recipe puts an exotic and spicy yet sweet and gingery spin on this traditional favourite. Or in other words, tea and coffee are optional, but these scones are pretty much mandatory.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup Large Flake Quaker® Oats or Quick Quaker® Oats (uncooked)
- 1/3 cup plus 2 teaspoons granulated sugar, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 3 tablespoons margarine or butter, chilled, cut into small pieces
- 2/3 cup plain non-fat yogourt
- 2 egg whites or 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh Bartlett pear (about 1 medium)
How to make it
- Heat oven to 400°F. Lightly spray large cookie sheet with no-stick cooking spray.
- In large bowl, combine dry ingredients, reserving 2 teaspoons sugar for topping. Cut in margarine with pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In separate bowl, combine yogourt, egg whites and vanilla; mix well. Add to dry ingredients; mix just until moistened. Gently stir in chopped pear until evenly distributed.
- Drop by 1/4 cupfuls onto prepared cookie sheet. Sprinkle 1/8 teaspoon of remaining sugar on each scone. Bake 16 to 18 minutes or until light golden brown. Serve warm.
- Recommended storage: Freeze completely cooled scones in tightly wrapped foil or freezer bags. To reheat, unwrap and microwave on HIGH about 30 seconds per scone.