Spicy CHEETOS® Nachos
CHEETOS® are the new tortilla chips. These “nachos” are smothered with spicy sausage ragù and creamy cheese, then piled high with crisp lettuce, tomatoes, jalapeños and a dollop of sour cream.
- 285g bag CHEETOS CRUNCHY® Cheese Flavoured Snacks
- CHEETOS CRUNCHY® FLAMIN’ HOT® Cheese Flavoured Snacks for garnish
- 1 Onion, cut into 1-inch dice
- ½ Small fennel bulb, tops and tough middle stalk removed, cut into 1-inch dice
- 1 Celery rib, cut into 1-inch dice
- 3 cloves Garlic, smashed
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 1 cup Tomato paste
- 1 cup Hearty red wine
- ½ pound Sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- ½ pound Spicy Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 Thyme bundle, tied with butcher’s twine
- 2 Tbsp. Butter
- 2 Tbsp. Flour
- 2 cups Milk
- 3 cups Grated fontina cheese
- 2 cups Iceberg lettuce, ½-inch chiffonade
- 2 Beefsteak tomatoes, cut into ½-inch dice
- ½ cup Pickled jalapeños
- ½ cup Sour cream
- 4 Scallions, finely sliced on the bias
How to make it
- Purée onions, fennel, celery, and garlic to a coarse paste.
- Coat a wide, deep pan with olive oil, add the pureed veggies, season with salt, and bring to medium-high heat. Cook the veggies for about 30 minutes, until all the liquid has evaporated. Stir occasionally.
- After a brown residue has formed, add the tomato paste, stirring to combine. Let it brown a little, and continue stirring for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the wine, stir to combine, and scrape up any remaining brown bits
- Add both the sweet and the spicy sausage. Using a spoon to break it up, cook until the meat is brown, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add enough water to the pan to cover the meat by about ½ inch. Stir to combine well.
- Add the bay leaves and the thyme bundle. Season with salt. Bring the sauce to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Continue cooking for 3 hours, tasting, seasoning and adding more water as needed.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter and whisk in the flour. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes
- Whisk in milk and bring the mix to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Whisk in cheese. Season with salt.
- Turn on the broiler.
- Empty the bag of CHEETOS CRUNCHY® snacks into an ovenproof dish large enough to accommodate the entire bag in an even layer.
- Spoon a thick layer of the sausage ragù over the CHEETOS CRUNCHY® snacks. Ladle the cheese sauce over the ragù. Place the dish in the broiler until the cheese starts to brown on top.
- Top with the lettuce, tomatoes, jalapeños, sour cream, scallions, and CHEETOS CRUNCHY® FLAMIN' HOT® snacks.