Lay’s® Tortilla Española
- ¾ cup good olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, cut in half and sliced about 1/8th of an inch thick
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 6 cups LAY'S® Classic Potato Chips
- 6 large, good quality eggs
- ¾ cup Aioli for finishing (see recipe below)
- For the Aioli:
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh garlic
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups extra virgin olive oil (choose one that is yellow and buttery rather than green and peppery)
How to make it:
- In a mixing bowl combine the egg yolk, garlic, mustard, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Using a whisk, slowly add the two oils (either mixed or separately) gently stirring constantly.
- When the oils are completely blended in, transfer to a small covered container and refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours before serving.
For the Tortilla:
- Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees.
- In an 8-10 inch nonstick skillet, warm the olive oil over medium heat and add the onion. Season lightly with salt and pepper and allow to cook slowly until the onions are completely soft, about 10 minutes. Drain the olive oil and reserve
- Whisk the eggs together in a large mixing bowl, whisk in half of the reserved olive oil and then slowly stir in the warm onions.
- Gently toss in the Lay’s® Classic Potato Chips until they are well coated and let sit for 15 minutes until they are soft.
- Warm the skillet again over medium heat, add the remaining olive oil. Test the oil by putting a small drop of the egg mixture in the oil and if it bubbles slightly around the edges, it’s ready.
- Slowly pour all of the egg, onion and potato chip mixture into the skillet. Gently press down the top to make it flat on top and reduce the heat to medium-low and let cook for about 10 minutes, then transfer to the oven. Let it bake for another 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, cover the skillet with an upside down plate and flip the plate and skillet over at the same time holding them together firmly and don’t lift the skillet off right away, but let it sit for 10 minutes, then slowly lift off the skillet to expose the beautiful golden brown tortilla
All the classics you love + new flavors waiting to be discovered. Rate & review your favorite products.