New England Style Clam Chowder
Gather the family together to enjoy a new take on a favorite recipe with the added crunch of LAY'S® Classic Potato Chips. In just a half an hour, you and your family can savor the flavor of this fresh-tasting, hearty dish. The potato chips complement the creamy clam chowder with a surprising, crispy texture that's sure to spread smiles and good cheer. Use leftover chips from this Party Size bag to make the recipe a second time, or double or triple the recipe to serve guests at a party or larger family gathering.
- 1 cup of LAY'S® Classic Potato Chips
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely sliced
- 1 whole celery stalks, trimmed, quartered lengthwise, and sliced 1/4” thick.
- 1/4 lb. applewood smoked bacon, diced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 6 cans chopped clams
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 ears bay leaf
- 1lb. potatoes
- To taste salt
- To taste pepper
How to make it:
- Cook the bacon in a large pot until just under crispy.
- Add the butter, onion and celery and sauté until softened, stirring often.
- Stir in the flour and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the chicken stock, the juice from 2 cans of chopped clams, cream, bay leaves and potatoes, and whisk to get out any flour lumps.
- Bring to a simmer, stirring frequently until the mixture thickens.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for 20 minutes, stirring often, until the potatoes are nice and tender.
- Add the clams and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cook another 2 minutes.
- Crush the LAY'S® Classic Potato Chips. Serve the chowder with the crushed chips on top.
All the classics you love + new flavors waiting to be discovered. Rate & review your favorite products.