Baken-ets® and Tostitos® Posole Rojo con Chicharron
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil or rendered pork lard
- 1 ½ pounds pork butt, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup yellow onions, ¼” diced
- 2 Tablespoons chopped garlic
- 3 Tablespoons Guajillo chile powder
- 2 Tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1 Tablespoon ground coriander seed
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced Fire Roasted tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 can (25 oz.) white hominy corn, drained
- 2 cups Baken-Ets® Traditional Fried Pork Skins, broken into large pieces, divided
- 6-8 large tomatillos, washed and husks removed
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- ½ cup TOSTITOS® Cantina Thin & Crispy, broken into large pieces
- 1 large avocado, diced
- 2 red radishes, sliced thin
- 1 ½ cups shredded green cabbage
- 8 Lime wedges
How to make it:
- Heat a large sauce pot over medium high heat and add 1/3 of the oil. When the oil is smoking hot, add one third of the pork and spread evenly over the bottom. Let it sit for 2 minutes and then stir and let sit for another 2 minutes and then stir again. Repeat until the pork is nicely browned on all sides, then remove the browned pork and return the pot to the heat. Add another 1/3 of the oil and repeat until all of the pork is browned and set aside.
- Return the pot to the stove and add the onions and garlic and stir until soft and translucent, then add the Guajillo powder, paprika, coriander, pepper and oregano and lower the heat to medium. Cook 5 minutes stirring frequently and scraping the bottom.
- Add the broth, tomatoes, and salt. Cover the pot and turn the heat to low and simmer for one hour, then add the hominy along with half of the broken Baken-Ets® Traditional Fried Pork Skins, and simmer one more hour.
- While the soup is simmering, preheat the oven to 450 degrees and place the tomatillos on a baking sheet or skillet and roast 10-12 minutes until they begin to brown. Remove from the oven and coarsely chop and add to the soup after the first hour when you add the hominy.
- Test a piece of pork to make sure it is super tender and adjust salt if needed.
- Ladle the soup into bowls, scatter the remaining broken Baken-Ets® Traditional Fried Pork Skins, over the top along with the broken TOSTITOS® Cantina Thin & Crispy diced avocado, radish and cabbage. Serve with lime wedges for squeezing on the side.
All the classics you love + new flavors waiting to be discovered. Rate & review your favorite products.