BBQ Beef Chilaquiles
Crispy tortilla chips swimming in fall-apart, slow-cooked beef short ribs, covered with plenty of cheese! A delicious take on a classic Mexican dish
- 1 bag Tostitos® Hint of Lime tortilla chips
- 1 jar Tostitos® Salsa Con Queso
- 5 lbs short ribs with bone
- 4 cup beef stock
- 4 tbsp red wine
- 3 tbsp Chipotle, canned
- 4 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 5 tsp salt (but season to taste with final product)
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ cup tomato paste
- 4 tbsp olive oil for searing and frying eggs
- 5 eggs
- 2 avocados, diced
- 1 bunch of cilantro
- 1 lime wedge
- 6 cherry tomatoes, halved
How to make it
- Combine salt, onion powder, black pepper, oregano, cumin, and paprika together in a bowl to make seasoning mixture.
- Pat short ribs dry and season with mixture.
- Sear short ribs in oil until they’re evenly brown. Set them aside in a large roasting pot.
- In the same pan used to sear the short ribs, add 1-2 tbsp olive oil and sauté the garlic (do not let brown).
- Add the canned chipotle and tomato paste and use the vinegar and wine to remove the remains from the bottom of the pan.
- Pour this mixture over the short ribs and add stock, covering the pan with lid or foil.
- Cook short ribs at 350F for 3-4hrs or until meat is tender and falls off the bone.
- Remove short ribs from liquid, keep them warm while you strain the sauce into a pot and reduce it to a consistency that coats the back of a spoon.
- Season to taste if necessary. Set aside and keep warm.
How to finish the dish:
- Place the short ribs in the center of a large platter 14-16 in with bones standing upright.
- In a large bowl, toss ¼ of the Tostitos® Hint of Lime tortilla chips in the short rib sauce.
- Pour the rest of the ¾ bag of Tostitos® Hint of Lime tortilla chips around the shortribs on the platter.
- Top with the sauce coated chips.
- Fry the eggs sunny side up with 1-2 tbsp olive oil.
- Garnish the top of the chips with diced avocado. Top with the fried eggs around the short ribs on the chips. Spoon the heated Tostitos® Salsa Con Queso evenly on the chips. Top with tomato halves, cilantro and lime wedges.
Tasty RewardsTM MembersGet my Coupon*
*Get a Tostitos® Coupon! Coupons available while quantities last